5 Elections You Can Vote In Even If You Are Not a Swedish Citizen

Even if you are not a Swedish citizen, you can still participate in elections.

1. Municipal Elections (kommunvalet)

2. County Elections (landstingvalen)

You can vote in the municipal and county council elections if you are: an EU citizen or a citizen of Iceland or Norway and you are registered in the municipality or county concerned; or a citizen of a country other than EU/Iceland/Norway and you have been registered in Sweden for 3 consecutive years before the day of the elections

3. EU Elections (Europavalen)

If you are an EU national living in another EU country, you have the right to vote and stand as a candidate in European elections in that country. To vote in the European elections, you must be an EU citizen registered in Sweden 30 days before the elections. You must also inform the county authority (länstyrelse) that you wish to vote in Sweden rather than in the country of which you are a citizen.

4. The Church of Sweden Elections (Kyrkoval i Svenska kyrkan)

If you are a member of The Church of Sweden, have a residence in Sweden, and you are older than 16, you can participate in the church elections.

5. Various associations elections

Maybe you do not find you trade union (fackförening) or your housing cooperative (bostadsrättsförening) so important, but many Swedes do. Every election matters!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.