It does not matter if your ad is going to be placed in one of many Facebook groups, expat forums or you are planning to spend a few kronor to advertise on the most famous Swedish classified ads site. Unless you are at the top end of the market, it is recommended to carefully tailor your ad.
1. Do mention your basic info. What do you work with? You don’t have to specify the exact numbers, but it is important to have a steady income. What do you study? What do you do in your free time? Make it short, but informative. They want a picture of your personality, not your life story.
2. Include a photo of yourself. Don’t make it too crazy or too serious.
3. You don’t have kids, but you have a cat? Allergic to dogs, but have a baby? Don’t forget to provide both pieces of information to make your search efficient.
4. Use the key words. Well-behaved (skötsam), proper (ordentlig) and calm (lugn) are the most common words in Swedish accommodation ads. Non-smoker (rökfri) is almost a default.
5. Ask a friend or a colleague to read it. Two pairs of eyes are better than one.
Have luck and don’t forget about rental scams!